Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Brilliant

Mark Lauterbach writes:

one of the turning points in my own thinking on this was to notice the "tone" of the NT. As I read through the apostolic letters I was struck by how, with the exception of Galatians 1, there is always a sense of patient hope in the background. Try reading Colossians or 1 Peter with an angry voice -- then try with gentleness and clarity. It is clear that the realities of the new creation controlled their perceptions -- both in addressing sin clearly and in fueling faith for the pursuit of Christ. No self-righteous or chiding tones here! And even Corinthians and Galatians move into a confidence in the Gospel mode very quickly

-------edit:-------

Hmm.. on second thoughts maybe it needs some caveats... I'll have to think about that...

a man came up to him and, kneeling before him, said, "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water. And I brought him to your disciples, and they could not heal him." And Jesus answered, "O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me." (Matt 17)

1 Comments:

At 1:54 am, Blogger Chris Rohloff said...

Dave,
Mark makes a good point.. I had that realization not to long ago.. Paul’s letters has a gentle tone... and I never really noticed that before...
I am amazed often of the Love that Christ places in our hearts... and how that comes out from day to day..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home