Saturday, January 28, 2006

An apology and random bits

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. I have been very busy, as well as trying to put a bit more time into other relationships. All my blogging time has been spent reading or commenting on other blogs so little has happened here. I have had a few bloggable thoughts, but non that have really been burning to be published. I am trying to read as much as my limited time permits and have just started The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship by Jeff Meyers, who is one of interesting bunch of American Presbyterians who I have only recently discovered. They are so fascinating because they share my theological ancestors and are still passionately protestant but yet are so different to the Conservative Evangelicalism of the UK and Australia that I know and love. Where this is most obvious is in their view of what Church meetings should look like, which Jeff Meyers book focuses on. A portion of Meyer's bibliographical essay illustrated this very fact vividly for me:

'Most of the exegetical and biblical theological work done on worship has been extremely disappointing. For example, David Peterson's Engaging with God: A Biblical Theology of Worship gets the whole purpose of sacrificial worship exactly wrong. We don't engage God, as Peterson thinks; rather, He engages us. The whole book is flawed because of this one sided, Pelagian perspective.' (p. 420)

I haven't read Peterson's book but I've read some of his other books. His pedigree is solidly Conservative Evangelical, showcasing the best of that branch of the church emphasis on Biblical Theology, expository preaching and good sense. I have never heard a bad word before about Engaging God, but rather endless praise. The last thing I would expect is criticism for a 'Pelagian perspective' that is 'exactly wrong'. I am bemused and curious about what is going on. Interesting reading lies ahead.


Elsewhere I think Rosemary's good sense, and heart for God means I may have to put étrangère on my favourite blog list. Also Ant Adams has made me determine to be a bit more purposeful in my reading, and although I probably will not follow him with chosing a author for the year I am now determined to enjoy some meals, rather than snacks, provided by John Stott, and finally read the 1536 edition of Calvin's institutes which has been siting on my shelf for a long while (prompted by Mark Horne, it is a long time since I feasted on the standard 1559 edition).

2 Comments:

At 6:12 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Snacking on Stott... he's not that light! Still, you're spot on - its great to feast on older richer stuff.

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger Dave K said...

Yeh.

Although you manage John Owen. Compared to him John Stott is easy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home