Sunday, May 08, 2005

Cat and Dog Theology

I recently bought a book called Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking Our Relationship with Our Master, Living Passionately for the Glory of God by Bob Sjogren and Gerald Robison. The book's blurb states that: There’s a joke about cats and dogs that conveys their differences perfectly: A dog says, ‘You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, you must be God.’ A cat says, ‘You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, I must be God.’ These God-given traits of cats (‘You exist to serve me’) and dogs (‘I exist to serve you’) are often similar to our attitude to God and our relationship to him. Using the differences between cats and dogs in a light-hearted manner, the authors challenge our thinking in profound ways. I bought it on recommendation from Dave Bish (see his post here) for a friend, thinking that I would gain little from it, but that in articulating a God-centred theology similar to that of John Piper it would be great for her. As I always try and read a book before I give it to someone, I have read most of it and found it both slightly infuriating and at the same time one of the most challenging books I have ever read. Because of this I am going to post a bit on it over the next week or so. I just thought I would give you a little introduction first. PS. I am still undecided whether the infuriating bits will make it unsuitable for my friend, or whether I should risk the bad it could do for the good it could do.

1 Comments:

At 11:16 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

touche.

I think my reflection is that at its best this book is genius... but that it lacks the nuances and sensitivity to be of widespread use. Something I'll dip into for ideas from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home